Gallina & Sons Insurance Home Page Apartment Communities Business Insurance Personal Insurance Condominiums & HOAs

Auto Insurance

Auto Insurance Quote Forms

Looking for coverage? Click any of the following links to submit a quote for quick, accurate and affordable rates.

Auto Insurance Customer Service Options

Self policy service any time of the day, directly from our website. To request a policy change on your account, click any of the following policy service options below.

Auto Insurance Information

When you buy an auto insurance policy, you are buying a package of individual coverages. Each coverage protects you against different types of losses. Once you understand the various coverages, you can decide which ones to include in your personal insurance package. You can also determine the limits of coverage you will need. The following are some common coverages found in an auto policy.  Note - Your policy may not contain all of these coverages.

pays, up to the coverage limits, for damages due to injury or death of others in a vehicle accident for which you or the operator of your vehicle are legally responsible. It also pays your legal defense costs. In Pennsulvania this coverage is mandatory.

  The Hartford Products

Bodily Injury (BI) Liability Coverage

Property Damage (PD) Liability Coverage pays, up to the coverage limits, for another individual's vehicle or property that has been damaged in an accident for which you or the operator of your vehicle is legally responsible. In Pennsylvania this coverage is mandatory.

First Party Benefits Coverage pays, up to the coverage limits, for reasonable and necessary doctor, hospital and funeral expenses plus rehabilitation costs and loss of wages for you, your passengers and family members injured or killed in an accident, regardless of who is at fault. A minimum of $5,000 medical payments coverage is mandatory in Pennsylvania.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists (UM/UIM) Coverage pays up to the coverage limits for pain and suffering which is not covered by medical, disability and PIP. Underinsured motorist coverage pays for bodily injury to you or your family resulting from the negligence of someone whose liability insurance limits are insufficient. The coverage is optional in Pennsulvania.

Collision Coverage pays, up to the book value of the vehicle, for damage to your vehicle or a substitute vehicle you are operating caused by a collision or rollover. This coverage is required if you have a vehicle loan.

Comprehensive Physical Damage Coverage pays, up to the book value of the vehicle, for damage to your vehicle or a substitute vehicle in your custody resulting from theft, fire, vandalism, flooding, hail or other perils (but not damage by collision or overturning). This coverage is required if you have a vehicle loan.

Rental Reimbursement pays up to a specified amount for rental vehicle charges while your vehicle is being repaired for damage covered under your policy. If you prefer not to incur the cost of renting a vehicle yourself and cannot be without a vehicle while yours is being repaired, you might consider this coverage.

Towing and Labor covers some costs incurred for services rendered at the place of breakdown or for towing to a repair shop. It covers the delivery of gas, oil or a battery, but not the cost of these items. If you lock the keys in the vehicle or need a tire changed, this may also be covered. These services are often included in auto club memberships, which can result in unnecessary duplicate coverage.

Questions to ask your agent . . . Independent Agents like Gallina and Sons are advocates for finding auto insurance that meets your specific needs. Here are a few things to consider as you prepare for your discussion:

  • Full Tort Option vs. Limited Tort ... When you purchase auto insurance here in Pennsylvania you have to make a choice between partially giving up (Limited Tort) or retaining as is (Full Tort) your right to seek recovery for pain & suffering and other non-monetary damages due to your injuries caused by another driver.

    If you choose limited tort, you and members of your household may not sue for pain and suffering or other non-monetary damages unless there is serious injury or the injuries are caused intentionally by the other driver, an out-of-state vehicle, a commercial vehicle, or an uninsured or intoxicated driver. Serious injury is defined as an injury resulting in death, serious impairment of body function or permanent serious disfigurement. You may, however, sue for medical bills, loss of wages, and other out-of-pocket expenses. If you choose this option, you will save about 15% on your premium in exchange for limiting your right to sue.

    If you decide on a full tort auto policy, you and members of your household have an unrestricted right to sue for injuries caused by other drivers. You can seek financial compensation for all medical and other out-of-pocket expenses, as well as compensation for pain & suffering and other non-monetary damages. This coverage option is more expensive than the limited tort choice.

    When this choice first become available in 1990 about 15% of our customers chose limited tort the remaining 85% stayed with the full tort option. Since then the mix has changed to about 50% limited tort and 50% full tort.
  • How much can you afford to pay if you get in an accident? (To keep premiums low you may want to have a higher deductible and be willing to pay more for repairs.)
  • What is the insurance company's level of service and ability to pay claims?
  • What discounts are available? (Ask about good driver, multiple policy and student discounts.)
  • What's the procedure for filing and settling a claim? (Ask who to call and what happens after you file a claim.)

© 2011 Gallina and Sons Insurance